It's not just locking up children - it's the Australian Government facilitating child abuse through it's policies, contractors and employees. How can children be treated this way? How can we change the policy of both major political parties & the majority of Australians?
- Australia's policies place children in harm's way: "Four child refugees released to live in the community in Nauru say they were physically assaulted on Sunday night, and threatened with death if they stayed on the island." The Guardian, October 2014
- Australia's policies are State sponsored child abuse: "Australian paediatricians considered mandatory detention a form of child abuse and strongly disagreed with offshore processing." Medical Journal of Australia, August 2014
Australia's policies are causing children to self harm:
"The inquiry has concluded, on the basis of evidence from inside and outside the system, that children detained for long periods have suffered significant adverse impacts on their health – especially mental health - and their development. It calls for all of them, including those on Nauru, to be released into the community, or into community detention where there are security factors.
The extensive inquiry found the impact of detention was significantly greater on children than on adults. According to figures given to the inquiry, in a 15 month period, there were 128 instances of self harm by children compared with around 80 by adults.
The draft report has gone to the Immigration Department and to the Attorney-General’s department." Child Detention report timetable tight for tabling this year, The Conversation, Oct 2014
- Australian Govt contractor's are alleged to engage in violence & sexual misconduct of children - Investigations are delayed, undermined & underfunded:
"Guardian Australia has published extensive evidence of child abuse and instances of self-harm on Nauru, including:
- pictures and video of children with their lips sewn shut in protest
- internal reports from centre managers Transfield detailing allegations of sexual misconduct by staff against children
- detailed descriptions from staff about violence against child detainees by guards employed by Wilson Security.
Australian federal police confirmed to Guardian Australia it had received a referral from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. It had not started an investigation."
What you can do?
- Contact your local MP. Let them know these policies are shameful, expensive, illegal & immoral.
- Tell your friends via Facebook & Twitter that you don't approve of Australia's policy of indefinite detention of asylum seekers & the treatment of children by Australian contractors & the Department of Immigration
- Learn the facts about refugees & asylum seekers
- Support the We're Better Than This campaign
- Support refugee support groups like Asylum Seekers Resource Centre, Chilout, Asylum Seekers in Nauru etc