2. What themes are explored in We Rose Up Slowly?
- In these stories people strive against the mediocrity, chaos and uncertainty in their lives.
- Dealing with change and seeking to reach beyond themselves, they discover nothing will ever be the same again.
- We Rose Up Slowly asks questions:
- How is the tension between romance and reality resolved?
- Who controls the narrative and representations of identity?
- How do we ‘live’ - really live, not just go through the motions - in a changing world?
- We Rose Up Slowly explores identity, belonging and cultural disconnect in contemporary life, the significance of the past in an uncertain present. These stories concern loneliness, disorientation, how narratives are framed, the mishmash of race and identity, and the delusions and distractions that obscure meaning and connection.